What is a CSA?
Community-supported agriculture, commonly referred to as a CSA, is a system that connects the producer (Farmer) and consumers in food production and consumption. The basic concept is that a customer signs up as a CSA (farm) member, committing to a monthly share or subscription in the farm for a period of 12 months. By consumers subscribing to a harvest of a certain farm, in this case Echo Valley, there are a number of benefits for both the farmer and the consumer;
- it gives the consumer the chance to gain a greater sense of where their food comes from
- it creates community, engaging people in not just their food production system, but also with like minded individuals
- the consumer receives a monthly box of fresh, nutrient dense and ethically produced food direct from a producer
- it offers an alternative model of agriculture and food distribution that allows the producer and consumer to share both the risks and benefits of farming.
In a nutshell a CSA is a way for consumers and farmers to connect. It’s an alternative economic model of agriculture and food distribution. As a CSA member you are joining a community of like minded people who are keen to see a shift in the current state of play for farmers and consumers. For consumers, it enables you to connect with your food more personally, see how it is produced, all while committing to support a farming family and a farming system over a period of time. For the farmer, your commitment to the CSA provides us with a level of security a one off purchase simply can’t provide. It enables us to make plans and develop new enterprises knowing we have ongoing support from our customers. When you make a decision to purchase an Echo Valley CSA share (3 x levels - Full, Half, and Tasty) you are committing for 12mths. You will be able to select to pay upfront or on a monthly basis. And we will deliver you a selection of Echo Valley produce every month. In addition to the delicious food boxes, you will also get to come along to our seasonal farm tours and we will also host an annual CSA day where you can get your hands dirty and share in a feast with your CSA friends. We will also set up an online group for our members to share their stories, recipes, and box ideas.
So, who can be involved?
Anyone can sign up to take part in the Echo Valley CSA program. If you answer yes to one or more of the following points then an Echo Valley CSA share is probably for you.
- Are you committed to, or wanting to purchase highly nutritious, local, chemical free, humanly treated, natural produce direct from those who produce it?
- Do you want the opportunity to engage with a community of like-minded people focused on producing and consuming food that regenerates our landscape?
- Do you want to ensure your food purchases are supporting farmers who are making a difference and not simply building wealth for the middle men?
- Do you want to learn more about full nose to tail, paddock to plate food consumption?
How does it work?
As a member, you are committing to buy a 12mth membership or share with Echo Valley Farm. You can nominate how you buy your share, either as a monthly subscription or an upfront payment at the beginning of the membership. Each monthly payment is due in advance at the end of the previous month, prior to receiving your new box. An automatic email invoice will be sent out as a reminder each month should you nominate the monthly payment option.
Should you find yourself away, on holidays or unable to collect the box, you can nominate to put a month on hold. You will still be a member, and you will have an extra month up your sleeve, which you can either roll into the next 6 months/year membership, or use to purchase extra product (e.g. a Christmas ham in December.)
The reality is a CSA doesn't fit into everyone's lifestyles, so if you find after a period that the CSA isn't working for you, just give us call and have a chat, if we can't find a solution all we need is a months notice and we will drop you off the member list.
So, once every month we will deliver your CSA Box to a pick up point near you for you to collect. At this stage the locations we have confirmed are;
- Ferny Hills
- West End
- Cannon Hill
- And of course, direct from the farm
If you are not in these locations, or can't easily get to them, please get in contact anyway and we can see if their is an option to create a new collection point! We always welcome new members!
What will be available:
An Echo Valley CSA share will be made up of a selection of the products we produce. Every month you will receive a box containing the following:
- Beef (selection of sausages, mince, roasts, steaks, diced beef, slow cooker cuts etc. cuts will vary each month but you will receive both top shelf e.g. rib fillet and secondary e.g. osso-bucco cuts.)
- Pork (like the beef pork cuts will vary and will include: sausages, mince, chops, fillet, rolled roasts, shoulder roasts, USA style ribs etc.)
- Cured pork and small goods (bacon, ham, hocks, salami etc.)
- Pastured Eggs
- A selection of addition goodies seasonally produced on farm which will be exclusive to only our CSA members. E.g. heirloom vegies, homemade preserves, jerky etc.
- Special recipes for you to experience and experiment with.
- Depending on your share size, (full, half or tasty), you will also receive a number of free tickets to our seasonal farm tours 4x full share, 2 x half share, 1 x tasty share.
- Every CSA member gets to come along to our exclusive CSA celebration day. This is an annual opportunity to get your hands dirty on the farm, learn about how your food is produced and share in a meal together.
- each member will also receive exclusive online CSA members page, you will be able to ask questions, share recipes and build connections.
You will always receive some of each of these products, but keep in mind that as we travel through the seasons you may receive more of one than the other depending on what we have more of at the time, in addition, if the farm is experiencing a bumper season you will benefit with more of the bounty! And, don't worry if you are a little daunted by the idea of receiving a cut of meat you haven't used before, we will include in you box different recipes each month! The best part of a CSA though is that you are joining a community of like minded consumers, farmers and cooks. Jump online go to the group page and ask for some ideas, there will no doubt be someone who can help you with a new recipe.
Grass Fed & Finished Brangus Beef
(fresh & cured)
CSA Share Pricing
Each month you will receive a range of products from our farm. Depending on the season and availability, specific cuts may vary but it will generally be made up of the following minimum quantities.
Want extras? There is always an option to add additional produce on every month. e.g. an extra carton of eggs, an extra pack of bacon...
Become a member
To join or express interest in our Echo Valley CSA, please complete below